With energy costs increasing each year, it’s just right for you to look for excellent ways to stay warm during the colder months of the year while still being able to lower your monthly handyman Sacramento CA costs. Rising electricity or gas bills add up, which is usually why homeowners are shocked by the bill they receive each month.
Regardless of the size of your home, there are some tips that you should keep in mind to help you save money and energy. This way, you are guaranteed to remain comfortable from the start of fall up to the end of winter.
Take advantage of the tips we have listed below and avoid huge utility bills.
Reduce Heat Loss
- -Make sure your fireplace damper is closed if there’s no fire that’s burning. Having a fireplace damper that’s open is the same as keeping a window open during winter; it lets warm air escape and go right up your chimney.
- -When using your fireplace, you can reduce handyman Sacramento loss if you open the dampers at the bottom of your firebox. You can also open the window that’s nearest for at least an inch. —Also, close the doors that are leading to the room.
- -If you don’t have any plans on using your fireplace, then seal and plug the chimney flue.
- -If you actually use your fireplace, then get a quality heat-air exchange system which will blow warm air back to your space. You’ll also benefit from the installation of a tempered glass door.
- -Make sure that the flue damper of your fireplace is snug.
- -Add caulking to the fireplace hearth.
- -Buy grates that are made of metal tubes (C-shaped) in order to draw cooler air of the room into your fireplace. This will also allow warm air to circulate into the room.
Maintain Your Sacramento handyman System
- -Schedule an inspection for your heating system. The inspection can be done by you, but we recommend you seek the help of a professional as they are more thorough.
- -Replace the filter on your furnace once a month.
- -For pellet- and wood-burning heaters, the flue vent must be cleaned regularly. Your appliance must be cleaned using a wire brush to ensure your space is heated efficiently.
Lower Water Heating Costs
- -Water heating accounts for 18 to 20% of the total energy that’s consumed within your home. -To save a large portion of that, set your water heater’s temperature to 120°F or to its warm setting.
Lower Holiday Lighting Costs
- -Use LED or light-emitting diode holiday light strings to reduce the cost of decorating your property for the holidays come winter season. You can also strategically place your decorations so you won’t have to use more energy than you need to.
- -Find a brand or manufacturer of decorative light strings that’s qualified for ENERGY STAR®.